Uplift Your Thinking With The 5 Reiki Principles:

by Carole Bourne

Sometimes all we need are a few little sentences that encourage us first thing in the morning to set a more positive tone for our day ahead.  Meaningful words that when read or written down can adjust our thinking, or shift our focus (if needed).

Five simple sentences that can help lift stress, dissolve anger, worry or negative thinking.  Five refreshing sentences that when read or meditated on, can bring us closer to a more connected and inspiring way of life.

Dr. Mika Usui ( 1865 – 1926 ) is the founder of Reiki and creator of the principles.    Whilst there are a few variations of these ancient principles out in the world, I personally don’t think it matters which one you use.

The important thing is to feel, and know in your heart, which set of 5 principles you feel most connected too.   Your intuition or gut feelings will certainly let you know.

Below are the 5 reiki principles that I have chosen to share with you today.  Read them gently and slowly.   Enjoy.

1:  Just for today, I will not be angry

2:  Just for today, I will not worry

3:  Just for today, I will be grateful

4:  Just for today, I will do my work honestly

5:  Just for today, I will be kind to every living thing:

Of course you can create your own five principles.  In fact why not.

For example, if you are not keen on using the word anger (which I’m not) you may change it to: “Just for today I will feel peaceful” or if you are not keen on using the word worry (again I’m not keen on using it) simply change to:   “Just for today I will trust totally”.

The whole idea is to uplift your thinking and overall  sense of well-being –  just for today – with 5 simple sentences, that mean something to you.  If you have another 5 principles that you live by please share them.  I’d love to hear what they are.

The 5 reiki principles by Dr. Mikao Usi

1 –  Just for today, I will not be angry.

Anger at others or oneself or at the whole world, creates serious blockages in one’s energy.  It is the most complex inner enemy.  Reiki is an excellent tool to remove anger blockages  which have accumulated in the body.  Letting go of anger brings peace into the mind.

2 – Just for today, I will not worry.

Endless worries may fill one’s head, and each one bores a small hole in one’s body and soul.   Letting go of worry, brings healing to the body.

3 – Just for today, I will be grateful.

Be grateful from your heart.  Inner intention is the important element of this principle.  Simple things as thanks, forgiveness, smile, good words, gratitude can improve others life and make them happy.   Being thankful brings joy into the spirit.

4 – Just for today, I will do my work honestly:

Support yourself and your family respectably, without harming others.

5 – Just for today, I will be kind to every living thing.

Honor your parents, honor your teachers, honor your elders.   Being kind brings love into the the world.

_________________

~ Recent Daily Ritual ~

When breathing is restricted and shallow your body doesn’t feel safe.

Muscles tense. Chest tightens.  Jaw clenches. You under-breathe.

The mind becomes anxious.  Thoughts race.

Know your breath is medicine.

Deepen, slow and relax your breath. Your body will soon follow. Feel safe and more in control again. xx Carole

Click here for today’s ritual.

____________________

~ Stay connected to the Rejuvenation Lounge’s community ~

Zip back to Rejuvenation Lounge‘s home page

Treat yourself to our Slow Yoga Retreats

Download your free Rejuvenation Lounge Manifesto.  It oozes relaxation!

Join Rejuvenation Lounge’s Global Full Moon Healing Circle

____________________

Photo by Lumiere

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Marelisa February 8, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Hi Carole: I’m second degree Reiki and I give myself Reiki treatments all the time. It’s fabulous. :-) And it’s so true that telling yourself that you’ll never get angry again, or that you’re going to stop worrying, is very difficult. However, we can convince ourselves that we’ll do these things, just for today . . .

Andrew February 8, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Hey Carole 😀

I was just thinking of commenting that I didn’t like the negatives of “I will not worry” and “I will not be angry”, when I saw you’d already covered that one. I’d put it – as these words vibe more with me – “Just for today, I will be serene” and “Just for today, I will have faith in God and in Life, even if I don’t understand the plan it follows”.

I like these principles, though I think it’s best to take them like a few drops of Bach flower essence – a vibration that you harmonise with, but not a dogma to memorise and live by. Not being angry, when made a dogma, is not helpful, you just become guilty in being angry or repress yourself and low-vibration beings have a party with you. I think it’s very necessary to love your emotions and ask them what they need of you, and harmonise their energy with you rather than trying to “release” them. Anger, as I see it, is only discordant or badly channeled aggressiveness – and aggressiveness in harmony with yourself and all that is is necessary for life – we want to be able to get out of the bed in the morning 😀

Thanks for the lovely post.

Andrew

Maureen January 29, 2015 at 5:10 am

Andrew, I had never heard this before about anger being discordant or badly channeled aggressiveness. And about integrating vs releasing it. Thank you! Can you post your blog address?

Carole Fogarty February 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Hi Marelisa,

Now I know why your energy is always so uplifting. Its your daily Reiki treatments.

Lovely to hear from you.

Blessings

Carole

Carole Fogarty February 10, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Thanks Andrew for your thoughtful words and appreciating so many of my articles.

I’m so thrilled you found my blog and a connection with its content.

Looking forward to checking our your blog.

Blessings

Carole

Suzie Cheel February 13, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Thanks for the reminder.

I was interested in Andrew’s comment about using NOT- I like you alternatuve suggestions.
i am going to rewite those for me so they focus on the I will be free of ….. :)
Namaste

Suzie

Reiki and the Law of Attraction March 27, 2010 at 12:00 am

the blog are so great.
thank you for that sir.
it really help me to apply and share this article for them to be encourage and apply Reiki to there daily activities.

Cindy June 7, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Hello Carole,

Just love your blog and every article you have on your website. thank you so much for sharing.

I also wanted to ask you i have a friend who is slightly depressed to find out that she’s got multi cyst in her kidney and she seems to be pretty sad and down about it. No treatment, no nothing from the doctors. all they said was to keep an eye on the cysts. Are there any remedy or yoga or anything that will help her with her kidney cysts (it’s multi cyst not just one??) any advise or suggestions on diet or any yoga that would be helpful.

Over alll I am on your site almost daily and i enjoy every much, have high respect for what you are sharing with the world. simple tech yet very effective without any cost. YOu give truly from your heart :)

Carole Fogarty June 20, 2010 at 8:15 am

Cindy, I have sent you an email offering a few suggestions such as smiling into the organs and strengthening the sacral chakra which relates to the kidneys.

I am thrilled you love my blog. Blog and I are very happy indeed.

Peace, love and chocolate

Carole

Colleen February 26, 2011 at 8:59 am

Hello Carole –

I’m a Reiki Master and I would like to know if I could use your “Photo by Lumiere?” It is so beautiful and I have never seen one that fits Reiki so perfectly. Thank You!

Beautiful Blessings
Colleen

Carole Fogarty February 28, 2011 at 11:28 am

Hi Colleen,

I found this photo on flickr. Simply link back to Lumiere when you use the photo as a courtesy.

Peace, love and chocolate

Carole

Gretta October 26, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Hi Carole,

My mother practices Reiki and I have been resistant to it thinking it was too weird or new-agey but these things seem so basic and lovely. I always wake up with a little meditation so to speak, it’s nice to have a little guidance and direction. I like the idea of promising myself to be serene and kind. Thanks for giving me a great reason to call my mom and tell her I appreciate her.

AnilTiwari April 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm

hi!!!
so great, knowledge

Thanks

Anil

Jeff March 22, 2013 at 9:03 am

Here are a few I use in addition to those listed above, Peace, Happiness and Love to you all :)

Just for today: I will not judge myself or others.
Just for today: I will take responsibility for my life.
Just for today: I will know that I am loved unconditionally.
Just for today: I will forgive myself and others.
Just for today: I will radiate Love.