The 12 Instant Benefits Of Humming Daily:

by Carole Fogarty

Humming combine with breath is a powerful way to release and let go of stuck energy and tension.  Great for clearing and refreshing your throat chakra”

Humming is a soothing form of sound medicine, infusing your body with many therapeutic benefits.  It’s also an easy and fun way to enjoy a meditation practice.

Imagine filling your head with the vibration of a calming “humm” for one, two or even 5 minutes.  It’s bliss. Bliss that you can create inside your head and body within seconds.

tibetan-bowl.jpg

12 instant benefits of humming:

I’m trusting you’ll be impressed with the following 12 well-being benefits that I have gathered along my journey with humming. Enjoy.

1: Grounds and brings you back to your centre.  I personally find it helps settle the feeling of being restless or scattered on the inside.

2: Promotes clarity of thinking by refreshing your mind. You can physically feel the vibration of the “hum” clear out the cob webs.

3: Has a very relaxing and soothing effect on your neck, face, head and shoulder muscles, which helps dissolve stress. Try it, you’ll be surprised.

4: Humming reduces the number of thoughts that fill your head. When you are humming there is no room for over thinking.

5: Humming puts a smile on your face. Well, it certainly does for me.

6: Humming slows down your breathing rate significantly.  Dr. Kataria’s research shows, we normally breathe 15-17 times in a minute but with humming you can bring it down to 4-6 a minute which helps to slow down your heart rate and brings down your stress level.

7: Helps dissolve unproductive thinking.  If you are having a bout of negativity, jump straight into a few rounds of “hmmmm” and notice a shift in your thinking.

8: Calms your nervous system as it activates the parasympathetic nervous system.

9: Dr. Kataria firmly believes it helps those with insomnia or restless sleep patterns, and perfect for inducing a deep sleep without dreams (the best kind of sleep) .  I recently bought Dr.Kataria’s humming meditation CD and have been practicing it whilst lying in bed (before sleep) to the sounds of an Indian instrument called a tanpura. It’s divine.

10: “Humming creates a wonderful circuit of energy in your body re-vitalizing its cells and charging its chakra’s”  as quoted by Deva Premal, who is well known for her chanting CD’s.

11: Improves sinusitis. The vibration helps shifts and clears pathways and blockages

12: Lowers blood pressure as proven by Dr. Kataria. 5 minutes of humming can reduce your blood pressure between 10 – 20 mmHg

How to practice a simple humming meditation:

1 - Find a quiet place, close your eyes, straighten your spine and neck, drop your shoulders – and relax. Gently touch your lips together so your hum can travel easily into your head, face and neck muscles. Relax your jaw.  Play some soft background music to enhance your experience.

2 – Take a deep slow breath in, and then create a “mmm” sound on your exhale, without opening your lips.  Continue to hum for the length of your exhale. You can make it musical but traditionally it’s more of a tone than a tune.

3 – Re-new breath then continue.  It’s that simple.

Start with 1 minute and increase over time to 15 minutes.  One key point which is shared by many yogic and Tibetan wisdoms is the importance of sitting still for a few minutes after your humming meditation.

How to practice a humming bee meditation:

Yogic breathing techniques have a wonderful variation on the above which I guarantee, will deepen your experience with the simple hum.  In fact, I’m warning you right now many participants at my Rest and Rejuvenation Retreats fall in love with this fun, easy style of meditation.

1 – Start by getting comfortable and relax your breathing.  Close your ears with your thumbs and gently rest your fingers over your closed eyes.

2 – Adjust the pressure of your fingers to feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible.

3 – Gently and deeply inhale, then make a “mmmm” sound for the length of your exhale. Repeat when it naturally feels OK to inhale again.

Covering your ears greatly intensifies and magnifies the sensation of the hum flowing through your head and body.

________________

Why not subscribe via email or rss feed and get free updates

You can also grab your daily rejuvenation tip by clicking here

Or you can zip back over to the Rejuvenation Lounge by clicking here

_______________

What I’m loving at the moment:

Sarah Wilson, health practitioner, writer and TV presenter quit sugar as an experiment to support the health of her auto-immune disease.   She noticed such a huge change to her health and emotions that she wrote an e-book about it. I’m not sure I could go 100% no sugar but it sure is interesting learning about how dangerous and addictive sugar is.

Click here to visit Sarah Wilson.

_________________________________

I use and love Ananga’s guided meditations and music

Please click here to sample her music:

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Bill Brent August 7, 2009 at 11:10 am

I tried this while I was out today (stressful driving conditions, got lost once) and it really works! Thanks, Carole.

Carole Fogarty August 8, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Hi Bill,

Humming is so easy and very refreshing for the mind. I’m thrilled you’ve put it too good use.

Blessings

Carole

Tina August 11, 2009 at 1:48 am

Carole,

This is a great tip! I like to hum to Enya’s song “Boadicea”. It calms me down, allows me to focus and recharge.

Regards,

Tina

Scott Fitzgerald August 13, 2009 at 3:22 am

This is a great tip. It helps balance you when you are upset or angry. Thanks for the info. Practice everyday.

Laurie Ashton Farook August 13, 2009 at 11:00 pm

About the blood pressure thing…

I already have low blood pressure. Dangerously low.

Is there a way to do this humming exercise without lowering blood pressure?

Carole Fogarty August 17, 2009 at 3:31 pm

@Laurie yes, in the past I’ve had low blood pressure so understand completely.

When I’ve felt dizzy doing anything from breathing exercises in yoga, humming meditation or anything else I simply stop and let my blood pressure adjust.

I’m certainly no practitioner though, so if it doesn’t feel right don’t do it. Perhaps humming a tune whilst driving or cleaning the house might be an easier way to enjoy the benefits.

I’ll ask a few of my friends who are practitioners and gather some facts for you.

Blessings

Carole

Cameron October 1, 2009 at 6:30 am

Thanks for your wonderful and informative piece on humming.It comes at a wonderful time where I am incorporating a daily routine into my activities.

I am sure to make this part of my daily routine. Expect to follow up later as my practice grows. i see nothing but good.

Thanks.

Cameron

GS Raju February 8, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Does humming meditation causes irregular heart beat or any kind of effect on heart functioning.

Raju.

Andrew February 8, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I do this! I also do my own style of energy healing in which I use sound to heal the other. I get some very good results with that :)

Love

Andrew

Tonia March 18, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Thank you so much for this gift!

sheena May 1, 2010 at 1:00 am

I am 41 yrs, have recently got tinnitus and prior to this TMJ problem, tension in the jaw from excessive dental work…will humming help me..without making the tinnitus worse.

Awaiting your response

Carole Fogarty May 3, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Hi Sheena,

It would certainly be an interesting exercise to see what difference the humming makes to your tinnitus. I’d imagine it would be similar to singing as you are simply creating sounds in your mouth.

It’s best to do what feels right for you though, and trust your intuition. We are all different and unique.

Peace, love and chocolate

Carole

hesbon November 18, 2010 at 12:03 am

Thank you very much for this wonderful gift. be blessed

Kevin July 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I have been humming with my meditation for awhile and it is such a wonderful thing. I’ve even notice that I can “aim” the vibrations to a part of my body when that part needs it. I work as a cashier/office worker at a store and on hard concrete floors easily 8 hours a day, whenever I get a chance I sit down and start my meditation and aim for my feet and few mins later my feet start to feel better.

Eliana Gilad - Voices of Eden January 18, 2013 at 9:15 am

Carole, I couldn’t have written a better blog post on the subject, which I found in preparation for a twenty one day Humming Challenge that I plan to begin on January 24th.

As an expert in the field of ancient healing and transformational music, one of our medically researched elements of this modality – is humming through a long single note. No wrong or right way to do it. No way to make a mistake. The medical results show exactly what you wrote of so beautifully in your article, and more. Keep up your wonderful work!

Carole Fogarty January 21, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Hi Eliana, thanks so much for your kind words. Love the idea of your Humming challenge. Let the humming begin.

esther ogochukwu April 3, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Wow I hv been humming 4 wks,bt ever since I went 2ru this net I can now hum well,dat means I don’t hum d right way b4;TANX

Kat Snow April 11, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I have hummed all my life. I am currently 61 and am trying to research humming with relation to frequencies and tone. I have found I hum tones not songs or even parts of a song but just 2 or 3 tones. From high, to low, in random order. I thank you for this blog the your information.

Carole Fogarty April 14, 2014 at 7:43 am